[Milton-L] Hello, everyone....

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 20:03:04 EDT 2012

To Vondell:

Certainly also consider Milton's sketches for a drama about the Fall from
the early 1640s in the Trinity Manuscript.  (Does anyone have a link to the
pages in question or, better, to a transcription?)  Here's the entry that I
have for a facsimile:

Milton, John.  *Poems, Reproduced in Facsimile from the Manuscript in
Trinity College, Cambridge; with a Transcript*, trans. with pref. by
William A. Wright. Menston, UK: Scolar Press, 1970.

Or, perhaps better, in

Steadman, John. “Appendix A: Milton’s Outlines for Tragedies.” In *Complete
Prose Works of John Milton*, ed. Don M. Wolfe et al., 8.539-85. 8 vols. New
Haven: Yale University Press, 1953-82.

Especially because of your namesake, I'd also point out other
seventeenth-century Fall dramas, prior to the publication of *Paradise Lost*,
by Hugo Grotius,Giambattista Andreini, Serafino della Salandra, and, yes,
Joost van den Vondel.

Those and more "analogs" to be found in *The Celestial Cycle: The Theme of
“Paradise Lost” in World Literature*, ed. and trans. Watson Kirkconnell,
290-349.  Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1952.

*Much* scholarship on this angle (re: drama and the genesis of *PL*), too.

Best,

Brendan

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Bob Blair <bblair48 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Vondell: you ask a very pertinent and much discussed question.  A thread
on this list about why Milton decided _not_ to write about King Arthur is
at http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/2006-December/005043.html.

choice of subject at http://books.google.com/books?id=fm5exXBfHCQC&pg=PA175

> There are lots more.  Google is your friend.
>
> Bob

"Paradise Lost" for his epic poem?  According to passages I've read from
Yale Professor John Rogers, Milton was entertaining the idea of writing a
chivalric poem fashioned after Edmund Spenser's "Fairie Queene" but decided
to pursue the "Genesis" narrative.

> Additionally, I am interested in discussing how the poem transforms
itself from a Romanitic poem to a Tragic poem.  I am interested in learning
more about this topic and seeking advice about which literary references or
published papers I can consult.  Also, how the use of iambic pentameter
affects the dramatic presentation of the poem?

> I am new to the scholarship of John Milton and am eager to discuss with
others about this fascinating poet.