[Milton-L] Hello, everyone....

Vondelljones at aol.com Vondelljones at aol.com
Sat Mar 24 12:28:35 EDT 2012

Dear Milton-L subscribers:

Is anyone willing to discuss how John Milton chose the concept of "Paradise
 Lost" for his epic poem?  According to passages I've read from Yale
Professor John Rogers, Milton was entertaining the idea of writing a chivalric
poem fashioned after Edmund Spenser's "Fairie Queene" but decided to pursue
the  "Genesis" narrative.

Additionally, I am interested in discussing how the poem transforms itself
from a Romanitic poem to a Tragic poem.  I am interested in learning more
about this topic and seeking advice about which literary references or
published  papers I can consult.  Also, how the use of iambic pentameter affects
the dramatic presentation of the poem?

I am new to the scholarship of John Milton and am eager to discuss with
others about this fascinating poet.

Thank you,

Vondell Jones
University of New Mexico Graduate Student