[Milton-L] JTS 1924-2011

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 7 20:17:20 EST 2012

      A NOISELESS, patient spider,
      I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
      Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
      It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
      Ever unreeling them-ever tirelessly speeding them. 5

      And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
      Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
      Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,-seeking the spheres, to connect them;
      Till the bridge you will need, be form'd-till the ductile anchor hold;
      Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.

The thread caught, John,
in so many somewheres,
but especially in my heart.
I miss you.