[Milton-L] Memorized poetry

Arlene M Stiebel amstiebel at verizon.net
Sat Jun 16 11:14:57 EDT 2012

When I was in Bergenfield High School, my Junior year history teacher was a gentleman named William Claxton, who believed in memorization.  He had us learn, chronologically, the names of all the US Presidents and Supreme Court Chief Justices, alphabetically all the counties of the state of New Jersey, and various other lists he deemed important. To this day, I can still easily recite them.

Mr. Claxton also had a unique form of classroom discipline. He was very strict about conduct and deportment, and believed that forming "character" was a  legitimate goal of public education. So, whenever anyone misbehaved in class, he would give them the assignment of learning two lines from his favorite poem, A Psalm of Life by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  The offending pupil had overnight to learn them, and was required to stand in front of the room at the beginning of class and recite those lines the next day.

Quite a few students got through a lot of the poem, as there were the usual classroom troublemakers and clowns among us, plus some unruly teenagers who delighted in mischief. Mr. Claxton never seemed fazed by what he considered misbehavior -- he was a very good and very stern teacher. We learned our American History.

I don't think anyone was ever made to learn the whole poem.  But the assignments were cumulative, and with each new offense the perpetrator had to add two lines from their previous stopping point and then recite it all.  As a result, the first few stanzas of A Psalm of Life were so often repeated  over the course of the year in front of that classroom that even those of us who never had such an assignment grew to know them by heart.

Every once in a while, Mr. Claxton himself, who could recite many things, would speak the whole poem for us, and express his conviction that Longfellow's message was worth heeding. Our teacher was a very knowledgeable historian, a wonderful person, an excellent instructor, and one of life's greatest enthusiasts.

A Psalm of Life

Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,