[Milton-L] Memorized poetry

Bob Blair bblair48 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 22:26:59 EDT 2012

I had to memorize parts of _Julius Caesar_ in high school (c. 1965).  I recall them tolerably well.  But I remember best (and still recite) three pieces from non-academic sources:
1. My friend Brian Price and I spent a week on the Current River in Missouri. One night, around a fire on a gravel bar, he taught me Keats's "Much have I traveled in the realms of gold...".  And many goodly states and kingdoms seen.
2. "The Spell of the Yukon".  Price may have been involved in that, too; I don't remember.  I still mumble parts of it as I go to sleep: "And the summers, no fairer were ever./The sun-shiny woods all athrill;/The grayling aleap in the river,/And the bighorn asleep on the hiill...."
3, Houseman's "Terrance, this is stupid stuff...".  I learned this just because I wanted to. "And therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,/I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good."
It's good to lead a horse to water.  Making undergraduates memorize may unlock a desire to drink that will satisfy a thirst many years later.