[Milton-L] Memorized poetry

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Fri Jun 15 12:02:40 EDT 2012

For decades I have been assigning memorization in course that include
lyrics.

1. I think it is important to allow students wide latitude in what to
memorize, since the poems will be stuck in their heads forever. I ask for a
poem or selection (from the syllabus) of 14-20 lines. Sometimes I specify
iambic pentameter, because it's important that they learn to hear that
particular music. I wouldn't specify *Paradise Lost*, because it is the
hardest metrical verse to memorize, owing to the enjambments and long
complicated sentences with moveable elements.

2. Not in writing, but I repeatedly emphasize that to memorize language,
you must repeat it out loud. (Some people will attempt useless tactics like
writing it out.)

3. I don't grade it, but assign full points for just getting through the
poem. I allow second tries. I make a further deduction from their
participation grade if they don't even attempt the assignment.

4. It should be far enough into the course that students have had the
chance to find that they like a poem. Most people can learn a sonnet in an
hour or so.

5. They recite privately in my office. Many kids are anxious enough even
without a larger audience. However, I call on all students to read verse
aloud and repeatedly during class. I coach the mumblers to try again, read
big, don't isolate that enjambment, etc. I think speaking verse adequately
should be a learning objective in courses that include poetry.

As to my experience as a student, I was asked to memorize in high school 50
years ago and can still say the verses. I was not asked to memorize in
college.