[Milton-L] stuart line

Duran, Angelica A duran0 at purdue.edu
Tue Jun 5 09:06:28 EDT 2012

Dear friends,

I had occasion today to look over a typewritten (before the days of computers) list of "Norman/English/British Monarchs." What puzzled me from the list in the 1980's, puzzles me still, so it's time to follow up. Because this involves a monarch of the Age of Milton, James I, I figure it is fair game for this list.

One of the notes says that with the death of Anne (r. 1702-1714) who "died w/o issue," the "Stuart line ends." Subsequent to Anne is George I (r. 1714-1727), whose note reads "great-great-grandson of James I through his daughter Elizabeth and her [Elizabeth's] daughter Sophia, who married Ernest August, the Elector of Hanover; begins the House of Hanover." Technically, then it seems George I was a Stuart and a Hanover.  ¿Is the end of the line of Stuarts and beginning of Hanovers based on the male line?

Many thanks, all.

Adios,
Angelica Duran
Associate Professor, English and Comparative Literature
Director, Religious Studies
Purdue University
500 Oval Drive - Heavilon Hall
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907