[Milton-L] date of composition L'Allegro and Il Penseroso

Enna Martina eoor at planet.nl
Wed Jul 18 05:14:23 EDT 2012

Dear List Members,

A long time ago I read (article or book) that Milton's companion poems L'Allegro and Il Penseroso may well have been written in 1638 or 1639,  contrary to what is now generally accepted as the date of composition, namely 1631, though the real date of composition has not been established yet. At that time I was not interested and cannot even remember the author.
As I have now indications that the later date of composition may well be a fact, I would like to ask if anyone knows about the book or article in question or has any other information which may be of interest.
All information is welcome and I would be much obliged.

Best regards,

Enna Martina.