[Milton-L] solemn pronouncing = voice _and_ physical movement. Thx Brendan Prawdzik

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 11:16:16 EDT 2012

Re: the earlier post

Really I have nothing too substantive to add, but I'll take this free
moment to try to prod the conversation alive.

(In fact, I have been deep and dirtily in the process of vacating my
apartment and moving out of Berkeley, where I've been ten years, to start
an Assistant Professorship at CBU in Memphis; we leave Wednesday on our
cross-country adventure!)

I think that J Carl Bellinger's observation here, that the "secret power"
of these Greek literary arts "seems rather to subsume them within
the rhetorical traditions of ancient Hebraic lyric," seems apt, and befits
the "tension" that I noted "runs through discourses of early modern sacred
rhetoric generally."  Just as the preacher finds Demosthenes in his blood,
so does divine poetry, notably Mitlon's, find all kinds of Helenic DNA.  To
what extent do classical oratorical and poetic arts prepare the Protestant
orator/preacher/poet to properly channel and rouse divine affect; to what
extent, and at what point, do they vitiate the rhetorical and affective
power that is supposed to be contained within the scriptures already?  Can
the poet breath grace into a Hellenic form and transform it essentially, or
must he trace their origin to Hebrew lyric?

At heart in both is a question of authenticity.  If gesture/pronunciation
raises the question of whether emotion or zeal is truly God-derived or
God-directed, here we see authenticity as based on primacy, who came first,
whose the original.  Makes sense, I suppose, in a poem so invested in
origin.

What I find particularly odd about Jesus's efforts to show "ancient Hebraic
lyric" to be the source for "ill" Helenic imitation is that its focus is on
form as opposed to passion.  Our poet is so willing to take any which genre
and rework it strenuously according to his Christianity.  Why then is his
Jesus so fixated on form and its origin?  Why must the authentic be the
original, the first?  Or is Jesus's argument here really besides the point,
is the claim that the Greeks poorly imitated the Hebrews merely an added
swipe?  Besides, his point, as it often is, seems to be that he does not
need to choose the Greek arts, especially not now, from Satan; if he goes
there, he'll do so according to his own choice.  (After all, the Apostle
Paul thought it not unfit to insert a verse of Euripides into sacred
scripture ....)

Then there's the passage from *Reason of Church Government* which I post
below signature.  Milton seems more flexible, more open to the possibility
of authentic co-minglings, than Jesus seems in the quoted passage.  I wish
that I could comment at some length, as I'd need to, but for now I need to
go paint.

Best,

Brendan

Or whether those Dramatick constitutions, wherein*Sophocles* and
*Euripides* raigne
shall be found more doctrinal and exemplary to a Nation, the Scripture also
affords us a divine pastoral Drama in the Song of *Salomon* consisting of
two persons and a double *Chorus,* as *Origen* rightly judges. And the
Apocalyps of Saint *Iohn*is the majestick image of a high and stately
Tragedy, shutting up and intermingling her solemn Scenes and Acts with a
sevenfold *Chorus*of halleluja's and harping symphonies: and this my
opinion the grave autority of *Pareus* commenting that booke is sufficient
to confirm. Or if occasion shall lead to imitat those magnifick Odes and
Hymns wherein *Pindarus* and *Callimachus* are in most things worthy, some
others in their frame judicious, in their matter most an end faulty: But
those frequent songs throughout the law and prophets beyond all these, not
in their divine argument alone, but in the very critical art of composition
may be easily made appear over all the kinds of Lyrick poesy, to be
incomparable. These abilities, wheresoever they be found, are the inspired
guift of God rarely bestow'd, but yet to some (though most abuse) in every
Nation: and are of power beside the office of a pulpit, to inbreed and
cherish in a great people the seeds of vertu, and publick civility, to
allay the perturbations of the mind, and set the affections in right tune,
to celebrate in glorious and lofty Hymns the throne and equipage of Gods
Almightinesse, and what he works, and what he suffers to be wrought with
high providence in his Church, to sing the victorious agonies of Martyrs
and Saints, the deeds and triumphs of just and pious Nations doing
valiantly through faith against the enemies of Christ, to deplore the
general relapses of Kingdoms and States from justice and Gods true worship.
Lastly, whatsoever in religion is holy and sublime, in vertu amiable, or
grave, whatsoever hath passion or admiration in all the changes of that
which is call'd fortune from without, or the wily suttleties and refluxes
of mans thoughts from within, all these things with a solid and treatable
smoothnesse to paint out and describe.