[Milton-L] new book

Daniel W. Doerksen dwd at unb.ca
Wed Jan 25 19:00:23 EST 2012

Dear colleagues,

As a long-time member of the Ficino, Milton, and H-Albion lists, I want to
draw attention to some features of my new book, Picturing Religious
Experience: George Herbert, Calvin, and the Scriptures (University of
Delaware Press, 2011) -- features that should make it of interest to more
than Herbert readers and scholars..

(1) Findings in this book are of historical significance because they
provide support for the realignment of the early seventeenth century Church
of England by historians such as Peter Lake, Kenneth Fincham, Nicholas
Tyacke, Patrick Collinson, and Anthony Milton, who assert that at the
centre of the Elizabethan and Jacobean Church of England there was a
"Calvinist consensus" that included bishops, conforming puritans such as
college heads, and other moderates.

(2) This book demonstrates that the writings of Calvin, widely available in
England of that time, could have a marked impact on some mainline English
literary and religious writings. It also gets away from the preoccupation
with predestination that has detracted from an appreciation of more
important aspects of Calvin's influence, such as his attention to the
experience of living the Christian life, and his intense biblical focus..

Anyone interested in the Reformation, biblical studies, cross-cultural
studies, the history of ideas, and great literature generally, and not only
Calvin and Herbert scholars,  stand to gain by reading this book, which is
recommended by well-qualified scholars.

Unfortunately academic books are too expensive these days, but if you see
the potential value in this book, consider recommending it for purchase by
your university or college library. I am attaching a flyer, good until
September, which offers a 20% discount.

Daniel W. Doerksen