[Milton-L] Samson

Steve Fallon sfallon at nd.edu
Tue Jan 17 11:51:07 EST 2012

Under the rubric of Milton and popular culture, with apologies if this is old news, especially to the younger members of the list.

On a mix that my daughter made as a Christmas present for my wife I found a song with an alternative Samson history (no divorce, no tumbling columns) voiced by Dalila.

Tastes differ, but I find Regina Spektor's "Samson" by Regina Spektor quite beautiful.

What is largely rationalization in Milton (Dalila's claim to have acted out of love) becomes fact in Spektor's lyrics, as Samson accepts Dalila's shearing of his hair and the pair live peacefully and unrecorded in Bible or history book.

Here are the lyrics:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/samson-lyrics-regina-spektor.html

And here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62rfWxs6a8&feature=relmfu