[Milton-L] Deadline Reminder: NEH Seminar, Tudor Books and Readers: 1485-1603

Aaron Pratt aaron.pratt at yale.edu
Thu Jan 12 13:09:00 EST 2012

Dear MILTON-L members,

I hope the holidays and the arrival of the new year have treated
everyone well. I apologize if you've received this through multiple lists.

I'm emailing to remind everyone that the application deadline for the
upcoming NEH Summer Seminar, Tudor Books and Readers, 1485-1603, is
March 3. Although that still leaves almost two full months, we would
love to see your applications as soon as they can be completed; two
months will surely pass quickly as the new term gains momentum. Do not
hesitate to contact Mark Rankin at the email address provided below if
you have any questions.

Cheers and best,

Aaron Pratt
Yale University
--

John N. King of The Ohio State University and Mark Rankin of James
Madison University will direct a National Endowment for the Humanities
Summer Seminar for College and University Teachers on the manufacture
and dissemination of printed books and the nature of reading during the
era of the Tudor monarchs (1485-1603). In particular, they plan to pose
the governing question of whether the advent of printing was a necessary
precondition for the emergence of new reading practices associated with
the Renaissance and Reformation. Participants will consider ways in
which readers responded to elements such as book layout, typography,
illustration, and paratext (e.g., prefaces, glosses, and commentaries).
Employing key methods of the history of the book and the history of
reading, this investigation will consider how the physical nature of
books affected ways in which readers understood and assimilated their
intellectual contents. This program is geared to meet the needs of
teacher-scholars interested in the literary, political, or cultural
history of the English Renaissance and/or Reformation, the history of
the book, the history of reading, art history, women?s studies,
religious studies, bibliography, print culture, library science
(including rare book librarians), mass communication, literacy studies,
and more.

This seminar will meet from 18 June until 20 July 2012. During the first
week of this program, we shall visit 1) Antwerp, Belgium, in order to
draw on resources including the Plantin-Moretus Museum (the world?s only
surviving Renaissance printing and publishing house) and 2) London,
England, in order to attend a rare-book workshop at Senate House Library
and consider treasures at the British Library. During four ensuing weeks
at Oxford, participants will reside at St. Edmund Hall as they draw on
the rare book and manuscript holdings of the Bodleian Library and other
institutions.

Those eligible to apply include citizens of USA who are engaged in
teaching at the college or university level, graduate students, and
independent scholars who have received the terminal degree in their
field (usually the Ph.D.). In addition, non-US citizens who have taught
and lived in the USA for at least three years prior to March 2012 are
eligible to apply. NEH will provide participants with a stipend of $3,900.

Full details and application information are available at
http://www.jmu.edu/english/Tudor_Books_and_Readers. For further
information, please contact Mark Rankin (rankinmc at jmu.edu). The
application deadline is March 1, 2012.