[Milton-L] question about a source

Bob Blair bblair48 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 10:59:28 EST 2012

I found this paragraph in an essay by Harry Eyres:
Milton was known in his own time as a controversialist as much as a poet, but the poetry, and above all Paradise Lost, is obviously his most splendid achievement. But Paradise Lost has fallen victim to the academic industry. Somehow the epic story of the fall first of Satan, then of Adam and Eve, has been almost buried under a mountain of commentary treating it as a theological monument, rather a profoundly moving human poem about blindness, love, marriage, nature and wrong-headed revolt.

Here's a link: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:OhhnHgWtxDsJ:findarticles.ba0.biz/p/articles/mi_qa3724/is_200104/ai_n8951965/+%22mountain+of+commentary%22+Milton&cd=28&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us