[Milton-L] Sounds like something our own JL would have said . . .

M. Kelley notlim22 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 4 10:56:45 EST 2012

From: milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu
[mailto:milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu] On Behalf Of John Leonard
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:38 AM
To: John Milton Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Sounds like something our own JL would have said . .
.

SInce Carol mentions me (blush, blush) I shall speak up for my more
illustrious namesake and voice my opinion that Milton would have heartily
endorsed his pronouncement. My evidence? 'To the Nuptial bower / I led her
blushing like the Morn' (8.510-11). C.S.Lewis deplored Eve's blush ("most
offensive"), but Christopher Ricks in Keats and Embarrassment defends it on
exactly the grounds that John Leonard articulates so well, and Ricks adds
the splendid observation that Milton's syntax allows for the possibility
that Adam also blushes.

jl