[Milton-L] Sounds like something our own JL would have said . . .

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Jan 4 10:37:33 EST 2012

SInce Carol mentions me (blush, blush) I shall speak up for my more illustrious namesake and voice my opinion that Milton would have heartily endorsed his pronouncement. My evidence? 'To the Nuptial bower / I led her blushing like the Morn' (8.510-11). C.S.Lewis deplored Eve's blush ("most offensive"), but Christopher Ricks in Keats and Embarrassment defends it on exactly the grounds that John Leonard articulates so well, and Ricks adds the splendid observation that Milton's syntax allows for the possibility that Adam also blushes.

jl