[Milton-L] Hughes's annotation to PL I.709

Colin Thomas Lahive 104035780 at umail.ucc.ie
Fri Aug 31 10:19:49 EDT 2012

I would like to ask the members a question. Merritt Hughes's edition
of *Paradise
Lost* provides the following annotation for the line 'To many a row of
pipes the sound-board breathes' (I 709): 'Pandemonium, like Troy and
Camelot, is built to music' (p. 229).

Does anybody know of a source text in which the construction of Camelot is
described in this way? Tennyson's "Gareth and Lynette", from *The Idylls of
the King*, is the only text that I can think of in which Camelot is built
to music, but I am interested in finding a medieval or early modern source
upon which Milton may be drawing.

Thanking you,
Colin.