[Milton-L] Comus and Rep. Akin

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:59:15 EDT 2012

Thanks Brendan, interesting as always.

Let me return to the simple-minded question of whether the text is guilty
of hyper-Akinism, or the claim that virtuous women can't be raped.

The second brother fears that the Lady will be raped, but the elder brother
claims that her chastity is its own defense.. The Lady seems to agree with
the EB that the power of chastity to preserve itself is something from
within herself. On the other hand, the Spirit, apparently a more
authoritative voice than the EB, feels that she is in grave danger,
approaching the "deadly snare" (478). Brendan thinks the Lady's confidence
is misplaced, and I think he is right.

How does she escape being raped? Various answers are possible.

1. Luck and a little help from her friends.

2a. Virtue, which the Lady claims is unassailable. The EB likewise claims
that chastity is "complete steel" and that "Virtue could see to do what
Virtue would / By her own radiant light." There are possible ironies in
these claims about the sufficiency of virtue. The phrase "complete steel"
reminds of "the whole armor of God," which is external to the natural
person. The reference to virtue's own light reminds of RCK's false claim of
sufficiency in FQ 1.1.199 and the need to add faith unto his force. Also,
if we read in a realist mode, expecting natural causation, obviously there
is no reason to expect that chastity will protect virgin girls from rapists.

2b. Reading in a different way, under #spenserian and #psychomachia we
might claim that she is not raped because, in an allegory developing the
Lady's stoic philosophizing, the action dramatizes the idea that a
well-tempered mind cannot be affected by external events. We might claim
the text is not really talking about physical and external things like
rape, but about mental states, so virtue as such is fully able to preserve
itself. A feature of the text that reinforces this view is the emphasis on
words and thoughts. Comus attacks her chastity with words, not actions
(799), and seeks her assent by offering the cup. She fights back with
words, and her words frighten him (819).  Her conviction discombobulates
Comus and cools his ardor. He says he senses, and fears, a divine power
behind her words. Comus does not give up, though, but resumes tempting with
the cup. There is no clear suggestion that he will assault her
physically. However,
readers have not tended to see the Lady as a thin allegorical figure, Lady
= Chastity, but as a more solid fictional person with a body. Perhaps the
text fails to define her fictional ontology consistently. And we face a
misfit between the neatness of this allegory and the indications in the
text that the Lady's virtue does not fully protect her in a bodily sense.
She is paralyzed, and her powerful rhetoric has been silenced. She is
soiled by the substance in the chair.

3. Divine Providence via supernatural agencies: the guardian angel, the
moly, and Sabrina. The natural agents (virtue, boys with swords) are not
adequate. That this particular virgin is protected in this case doesn't
imply that virtuous women can't be raped.

Michael

PS, Brendan: birdlime is a good specific ID for the "gums." When I wrote on
this topic (*MQ* 44 (Spring 2010), I was unaware that birdlime would
qualify as a gum in the period sense, but being an extract of holly bark,
it does seem to qualify. Milton's contemporaries would probably have
thought of birdlime. The substance has qualities beyond ordinary birdlime,
however.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Brendan Prawdzik <brendanprawdzik at gmail.com