[Milton-L] (no subject)

JEMCS jemcsfsu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 14:40:29 EDT 2012

It is well understood that "the digital turn" has transformed the
contemporary cultural, political and economic environment.  Less
appreciated perhaps is its crucial importance and transformative potential
for those of us who study the past.  Whether through newly—and
differently—accessible data and methods (e.g. "distant reading"), new
questions being asked of that new data, or recognizing how digital reading
changes our access to the materiality of the past, the digital humanities
engenders a particularized set of questions and concerns for those of us
who study the early modern, broadly defined (mid-15th to mid-19th
centuries).

For this special issue of JEMCS, we seek essays that describe the
challenges and debates arising from issues in the early modern digital, as
well as work that shows through its methods, questions, and conclusions the
kinds of scholarship that ought best be done—or perhaps can only be done—
in its wake.  We look for contributions that go beyond describing the
advantages and shortcomings of (or problems of inequity of access to) EEBO,
ECCO, and the ESTC to contemplate how new forms of information produce new
ways of thinking.

We invite contributors to consider the broader implications and uses of
existing and emerging early modern digital projects, including data mining,
data visualization, corpus linguistics, GIS, and/or potential obsolescence,
especially in comparison to insights possible through traditional archival
research methods. Essays of 3000-8000 words are sought in .doc, .rtf,
or.pdf format by January 15, 2013 tojemcsfsu at gmail.com<mailto:
jemcsfsu at gmail.com>.  All manuscripts must include a 100-200 word abstract.
JEMCS adheres to MLA format, and submissions should be prepared accordingly.

In addition, we would welcome brief reports (500-1500 words) that describe
digital projects in progress in early modern studies (defined here as
spanning from the mid-fifteenth to the mid-nineteenth centuries), whether
or not these projects have yet reached completion.  These reports, too,
should be submitted in .doc, .rtf, or.pdf format, using MLA style, by 15
January 2013 to  to jemcsfsu at gmail.com.

--
Kate Lechler
Managing Editor