[Milton-L] Fish

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Tue Aug 7 12:22:28 EDT 2012

Thanks, Jim Rovira, for your thoughtful response to David's article. As I am not very much interested in the history of criticism (which is obvious whenever I do respond to this list), it's unlikely that I would have done so myself. The general direction of this thread is, now, moving on in the direction it is because of the importance of locating Stanley in the history of his discipline to working scholars. I've not been much of a scholar in my life, only getting to teach Milton about every fourth or fifth semester and, even then, to the less than fit and definitely few. The department at Butler University, where I taught, was around ten full and six or seven part-time, so we were all 'utility players,' moving from second base to catcher to left field as needed. Indeed, it was only because one semester our 18th Century man was on sabbatical and the chair asked me to put together a seminar, that I discovered the joy of teaching Blake, a story too detailed to go into here. That takes me to the reason for my note; I agree with you that Blake was no 'Satanic reader' of P.L.; in fact, in MILTON he makes it perfectly clear that in his eyes Milton was worshipping Nobodaddy or Satan and only saved by 'the poetic genius.'

cheers, Jim Watt