[Milton-L] Fish

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Sun Aug 5 17:54:16 EDT 2012

Dear Harold:

I don't know you, obviously, but I have been following this thread with some interest. I was introduced to Stanley Fish's work (actually, I like Self-Consuming Artifacts better than Surprised By Sin or Is There a Text in This Class?) by O. B. Hardison, jr. at UNC-Chapel Hill when I took every class he offered, including a legendary (for those of us lucky enough to have been in it) Spenser Seminar. O.B. was a lot, I think, like Stanley; extraordinarily quick witted, very deeply familiar with a wide range of material (remember, his first book was on Medieval Drama, I think). He was also very widely liked because he listened so closely to his students and responded so clearly that anyone who had a half-baked idea when they came to him left with a detailed critique of it and very useful hints as to what direction to go with it.

These are, as I'm sure from your writing, very unusual gifts and make for the best kind of teacher/scholar. I was very disappointed when O.B. took the job as head of the Folger in Washington before I could convince him to direct my thesis. But he was still very generous with his time and made sure I got an excellent advisor.

O.B. was a very enthusiastic endorser of Stanley's work and I am sure was part of his circle when he taught at Duke, just down the road from Chapel Hill. We spent some time in our Milton Class on this 'fit audience, tho' few' few matter. As I recall it, O.B.'s position re: political and philosophical/theological requirements for admission to the group was similar to Jesus' response in Luke 15:33, "So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple." In a word, O.B. believed, along with Stanley, that Milton was a poet prophet in the classical sense, that is that his rhetoric transcends doctrine and confronts the reader directly, depriving him of his old formulations and requiring a heartfelt and profoundly intelligent reading of the dramatic context he discovers himself in.

In my work on Blake I have encountered sorts of the condescending you suspect you find in Professor Richmond from experts in 18th Century contexts who wouldn't know Jerusalem from Jalapeno if they suddenly found themselves there. One of the points, surely, of P.L. as well as Blake's work is that they are perennially pertinent and immediately contemporary. Otherwise, why read them?

cheers, Jim Watt
(I taught at Butler University in Indianapolis from 1970 to 2010... and loved every minute!)