[Milton-L] Comments Requested on Milton/Lewis/Fish/Richardson/NMC article Re: Publication Announcement: APPOSITIONS: Studies in Renaissance / Early Modern Literature & Culture, ISSN: 1946-1992

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Thu Aug 2 15:43:24 EDT 2012

Sorry!  I forgot to include the link!  It is:

http://appositions.blogspot.com/2012/07/david-v-urban-surprised-by-richardson.html

Dear Fellow Miltonists,

I have an article in the issue of *Appositions* that Scott Howard just posted.
 My article addresses the persistent claim, started by John Rumrich and
continued by various scholars associated with the New Milton Criticism, that
Stanley Fish's *Surprised by Sin* is "a methodologically radical update" of C.
S. Lewis's *A Preface to "Paradise Lost"* "as a literary monument to mainstream
Christianity" (Rumrich, *Milton Unbound,* 4).

Here is the link:
http://appositions.blogspot.com/2012/07/david-v-urban-surprised-by-richardson.html

My article challenges this claim and argues that Fish's book was not
especially influenced by Lewis; rather, I argue that the piece of orthodox
Christian Milton criticism that most influenced Fish was Jonathan Richardson's
Explanatory Notes and Remarks on Milton’s “Paradise Lost” and its attached
Life of the Author and a Discourse on the Poem (1734).

My article continues my interaction with the New Milton Critics which took
place in the May and December 2011 issues of *Milton Quarterly.*

I would deeply appreciate any comments you have on my essay, whether you post
them on Milton-L or on the *Appositions* site after my article (that would be
ideal), or if you'd send them to me personally at dvu2 at calvin.edu

Many thanks,

David

David Urban, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Calvin College
3201 Burton St., S.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Office Phone: (616) 526-8646

ideal), or if you'd send them to me personally at dvu2 at calvin.edu

Many thanks,

David

David Urban, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Calvin College
3201 Burton St., S.E.
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
Office Phone: (616) 526-8646

>>> Scott Howard <Scott.Howard at du.edu> 8/2/2012 1:00 PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of APPOSITIONS, Volume 5:
Artefacts
( http://appositions.blogspot.com/ ) ISSN: 1946-1992.

Appositions is an electronic, international, peer-reviewed, MLA-indexed,
EBSCO-distributed journal for studies in Renaissance / Early Modern Literature
and Culture.
ARTICLES:

Sarah Joyce Bunker

University of Rochester

“We must see you laid”: Domestic Utopianism and the Marriage Bed in The Maid’s
Tragedy, Cymbeline, and The Revenger’s Tragedy

David V. Urban
Calvin College
Surprised by Richardson: C. S. Lewis, Jonathan Richardson, and Their
Comparative Influence on Stanley Fish’s Surprised by Sin: The Reader in
“Paradise Lost”

REVIEWS:

David H. Cormier
St. Louis University
Review of: Erin Minear, Reverberating Song in Shakespeare and Milton:
Language, Memory, and Musical Representation.  Ashgate (Surrey, UK and
Burlington, USA, 2011), 296 pp.  ISBN: 978-1-4094-3545-7.  $104.95 (USD).

Jane M. Kinney
Valdosta State University
Review of: Chloe Wheatley, Epic, Epitome, and the Early Modern Historical
Imagination.  Ashgate (Surrey, UK and Burlington, USA, 2011), 148 pp.  ISBN:
978-0-7546-6976-0.  $99.95 (USD).

APPOSITIONS: Studies in Renaissance / Early Modern Literature and Culture, (
http://appositions.blogspot.com/ ), ISSN: 1946-1992

///

.