[Milton-L] Marshall Grossman

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:04:36 EDT 2011

Forgive me for copying my response to this news from the Sidney-Spenser
list, but I feel this very strongly.

Very sad news. I'd only just heard of his illness and sent an email that he
will never read. Conversations with Marshall at the Folger were always
informative, stimulating, and fun. He had a wonderfully mischievous wit, a
Juvenalian perspective on the world that was balanced with, perhaps also the
result of, a genuine zeal for reform. I remember being surprised, and also
not, to learn of his writing for the Huffington Post. Marshall had a cynical
veneer but a real passion underneath. I remember bumping into him outside
the Folger one day, and he held me on the sidewalk for almost an hour,
telling me with excitement about his latest thoughts on Milton and Arianism.
He'll be missed by many.

Hannibal

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Stackhouse, Amy <AStackhouse at iona.edu>wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> It is with great sadness and heaviness of heart that I write to let you
> know of Marshall Grossman's passing this afternoon. He was a wonderful
> mentor and it was an honor to have had him direct my dissertation. I will
> miss him greatly.
>
> Amy

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340