[Milton-L] Marshall Grossman

Shoulson, Jeffrey jshoulson at mail.as.miami.edu
Tue Mar 29 14:32:00 EDT 2011

Colleagues,

The following is an email that was sent out by Kent Cartwright, chair of the English Department at the University of Maryland, concerning the rapidly declining health of Marshall Grossman.

Many on the list know Marshall to be a brilliant, provocative scholar of Milton and early modern studies, always game for a good debate, but in the best spirit of intellectual exchange.  I know I am not the only one who will be very saddened by this news.

Jeffrey Shoulson

Begin forwarded message:

Dear Colleagues:

As many of you know, Marshall Grossman is in declining health.  He was diagnosed in December with cancer; he had two embolization treatments in January and underwent chemotherapy in February and March.  Unfortunately, those treatments have not prevented the metastasizing of the cancer.  Chemotherapy has been discontinued, and Marshall is now receiving hospice care at home.  I visited him yesterday; Sangeeta was also there, and Ted visited him recently, too.  He has lost considerable weight and is unable, at this point, to sustain conversation.  Marshall has excellent round-the-clock nursing, and he is also being attended to by his wonderful companion Karen Imler.  Over the weekend, his brother Stephen has also been with him.  If you wish to write to Marshall, I know that Karen is reading his e-mail messages to them, and I am sure that he would be pleased to hear from colleagues.  It is also possible to visit, although any visit would have to remain brief; you should check in advance with Karen (at 301-949-3407<tel:301-949-3407> or karenimler at aol.com<mailto:karenimler at aol.com>).

Kent

Kent Cartwright
Professor and Chair
Department of English