[Milton-L] PL in contemporary usage

Ross Leasure trleasure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 14:47:54 EDT 2011

The OED on-line indicates that it contains 610 quotations from Milton
providing the first evidence of a word, and some 2149 quotations providing
the first evidence of a particular meaning of a word.  Overall, the OED
contains 12,444 quotations from Milton, 42% of which come from PL.  I'm now
going to see how he measures up to Shakespeare.  I'm pulling for our boy.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Christopher Baker <
Christopher.Baker at armstrong.edu> wrote:

> "Pandemonium" (1.756) and "all hell broke loose" (4.918) are perhaps the
> most famous of Milton's coinages in Paradise Lost, while "His Dark
> Materials" (Pullman),  "Darkness Visible" (Styron), "In Dubious Battle"
> (Steinbeck), and "Precious Bane" (Mary Webb) are book titles taken from the
> epic.  Is there a convenient list somewhere (or the memories of list
> members) that would provide other words, phrases, or titles taken from PL?
>  I am preparing a brief advertisement for a short course on PL; any help
> would be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Chris Baker
>
> Dr. Christopher Baker
> Professor of English
> Department of Languages, Literature and Philosophy
> Armstrong Atlantic State University
> 11935 Abercorn Street
> Savannah, Georgia 31419
> 912.344.3188 ofc