[Milton-L] PL in contemporary usage

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Mon Mar 21 14:00:26 EDT 2011

"Hell broke loose" was proverbial before Milton used the phrase.  OED cites
it from 1600 (Hell 10 gen).

The OED credits Milton with the first fully developed astronomical sense of
"space" ("Space may produce new worlds," as in "space: the final frontier"),
but Lucy Hutchinson and John Evelyn had used this sense before Milton in
their respective translations of Lucretius (who had used spatium of outer
space).

Still on the topic of astronomy, numerous editors since Keightley have told
us that "save appearances" was a technical scholastic term (which it was)
and so infer that Raphael's use of the phrase is not mocking, but it is
still possible that Raphael puts a highbrow term to mocking use and so helps
to coin the modern colloquial sense.  My own view (for reasons too long to
go into here) is that that is exactly what Raphael does.

John Leonard