[Milton-L] Sonnet for our Friend

Louise Simons resden at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 18:12:13 EDT 2011

My heartfelt thanks to Hugh Wilson for his splendid John Shawcross  tribute,
which so beautifully links John to other beloved scholars whose  deaths have
diminished my own life. Hugh fittingly ends his sonnet on  the word "brood". In
1985, at a six-week NEH Paradise Lost Summer Institute in Tempe, AZ, John spent
much of the first lesson on "brooding".  We broke for lunch, and when we
returned in the afternoon, one of the  professors triumphantly informed John and
the class that according to  the OED, "brood" was not used in John's sense until
a quite later date.  John threw up his hands and exclaimed, "Oh, you know the
OED!" He moved  more deeply into the poem and said nothing else about the
meanings of  "brood." The class settled down in incredulous silence, obviously
unconvinced. After class, John bustled about in the ASU library,  especially the
rare books collection. The following morning, he opened  our class with numerous
quotations and sources predating Paradise Lost  and contemporary with it, all
using the word "brood" as John was  explaining that Milton had used it. After
that, we had a very different  understanding of the depth and breadth of John
Shawcross's scholarship,  his firmness of purpose, and his desire to be an
informed guide to our class. Rest in peace, John; you were deeply revered and
loved, and you made a difference in people's lives.