[Milton-L] another on the same

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:21:41 EDT 2011

Are we to mourn when old Damaetas dies?
Should we, the young, lament the likes of old
Damaetas, from whom Fates withhold
Scarce one mere thread, who rather seem to prise
>From Clotho's spindle ample tapestries,
Whole wardrobes crammed with radiant cloth-of-gold?
Are we to sing, our songs themselves out-told
By his for whom our elegies would rise?
We are to mourn.  We should lament.  We will
Begrudge him no due tear.  Though he may long
Outstride us, though he set a mark above
Our mightiest straining, yet, for all his skill,
Still old Damaetas loved to hear our song.
And we all sang the better for that love.

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College