[Milton-L] Re: John Shawcross: Shoulders

Mulryan, John JMULRYAN at sbu.edu
Sat Mar 12 18:49:13 EST 2011

What I remember most fondly about John Shawcross was his incredible work ethic. In the late 70s we found ourselves working together at the University of Illinois. I arrived at the Rare Book Room promptly at 9 a.m., when it opened. John had been at the library  since 8 a.m., working in the general stacks. He took a half-hour lunch with me, just enough time for him to explain my limitations as a Miltonist ("you mean you don't know why only one volume of the Yale prose was revised?"). At five I went back to my motel for televison and novel reading. John worked an extra hour in the stacks and then put in another three hours in the evening going over his notes. He was putting in 13-14 hour days for the entire length of his stay, and I got the impression that this was his normal way of conducting his scholarly work. In this as in everything else, he was a model to emulate and a tough act to follow. John Mulryan