[Milton-L] Re: John Shawcross: Shoulders

Parrish, Paul A p-parrish at tamu.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:51:49 EST 2011

My apologies to those who are also on the Donne list and who have read this before, but one of my favorite interactions with John pertains to Carol's observation about the "gentle giant."  About five years ago, when John was still quite active and vigorous, I participated in a session of a South Central Renaissance Conference meeting that was dedicated to papers on John's _Intentionality and the New Traditionalism_.  John was present and was quite aware that papers would be delivered but didn't know that the session was designed (secretly) as a more general tribute to him and his work.  I was invited to make some remarks about John and mentioned some of the qualities many on this list have already identified.  I also talked about his capacity to "correct and cajole," to offer what I described as a scholarly version of "tough love."  John told me later that he rather enjoyed (and agreed with) that characterization, and it remains significant in my own recollections of someone who was caring and supportive while also being rigorous and demanding.

Paul