[Milton-L] John Shawcross obituary

David Ainsworth dainsworth at as.ua.edu
Fri Mar 11 10:36:56 EST 2011

Thank you for the link, Steve.

Adding to the present tribute (and to John's list of accomplishments)
seems futile, but I can still remember meeting him formally for the
first time after a Newberry Milton seminar.  I was ABD at the time and
had attended the seminar before.  On the way out of the library together
in a conversational cluster of Milton scholars, John singled me out by
name and introduced himself to me.  I was moved from shock of one sort
("how does this stranger know me?") to shock of another ("why would John
Shawcross bother to know me?"), though looking back the second question
seems more foolish than the first.

John's scholarly adopted children far outnumber his grand-nieces and
nephews.  We are diminished by his passing.

David