[Milton-L] RE: John Shawcross obituary

Daniel W. Doerksen dwd at unb.ca
Thu Mar 10 13:03:20 EST 2011

John Shawcross was an outstanding but also inspiring scholar who, as
Chaucer puts it, would gladly learn and gladly teach. When I met him as a
potential dissertation supervisor at the University of Wisconsin.and later
consulted him about a writing project, he was just as knowledgeable and
helpful as the chorus of tributes is now acclaiming him to be. His kind
attention to young scholars reminds me of another Miltonist, Roy Daniells,
who unpretentiously welcomed me in similar fashion when I attended my first
scholarly conference.

Dan Doerksen

At 08:46 AM 3/10/2011, you wrote:
>.
>I've found a link for John Shawcross' obituary in this morning's Lexington
>Herald.
>
><http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kentucky/obituary.aspx?n=john-thomas-shawcross&pid=149165841>
>
>Thanks for posting this. What an extraordinary man and scholar.

Daniel W. Doerksen