[Milton-L] John Shawcross

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 10 10:41:21 EST 2011

John's death saddens me. He still had much to offer, and we would all
have benefited from that muchness as we have benefited from his work for
these many years. When he invited me, some forty-five years ago, to
contribute to the volume of essays he and Ronald Emma were compiling for
the tercentary of the first publication of /Paradise Lost, /I demurred
at first, because I didn't think I had anything particular to say. But
he went on to suggest the alleged Latinity of Milton's style, and that
set me thinking hard about all sorts of Miltonic things. That was John,
helping, stimulating, guiding, giving. Wonderful man.

Mario A. DiCesare