[Milton-L] John Shawcross: so many gifts

Ross Leasure trleasure at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:25:27 EST 2011

To all,

I wish to join the chorus of Miltonists bemoaning our loss, and sharing fond
memories of our association with John Shawcross.  Both he and Richard
DuRocher were especially kind to me when we met at any given conference,
always voluntarily checking in on my work and well-being, offering advice
and support.  They were both models not only of scholarship, but of
collegiality and humility as well, even to those accolytes like me not
worthy to kiss the hems of their garments.  Their presence in my life, as in
all our lives, is much appreciated and will be sorely missed.  Murfreesboro
this year will no longer be the same without them.

Sincerely,

Ross Leasure

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Scott Howard <Scott.Howard at du.edu> wrote:

> John was an extraordinary person who gave many gifts to our community.  He
> embodied the very best of the profession's values.  I know of no other
> scholar/teacher who has given so much.
>
> All best wishes,
> Scott Howard
>
> ///