[Milton-L] John Martin's _The Last Judgement_

David Gay dgay at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 28 15:50:54 EDT 2011

The Tate Gallery provides this information on a key: "An engraved key
was published in 1855 (by Leggatt, Haward and Leggatt of 79 Cornhill),
identifying the principal figures, among whom are Thomas More, Wesley,
Canute, Colbert, Washington, Copernicus, Newton, Watt, Chaucer, Tasso,
Corneille and Shakespeare." See: http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999961&workid=9313&searchid=9505&roomid=false&tabview=text&texttype=8

The engraved title page of Blake's MIlton suggests the Last Judgment
seen from behind (hence looking forward as a perceiving subject).
best, David

David Gay, Professor of English
Director,  Program in Religious Studies
Humanities Centre 4-49