[Milton-L] Poetry Daily

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:37:01 EDT 2011

Isn't "long" already plenty long? "Dim" may need an extra "m" too draw it
out, but is there any four-letter word in English longer than "long" --
liquescent, long vowel, nasal, nasal (or more -- what is "ng" anyway? no
accident that it ends words like "ring" and "sing").

Hannibal

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Nancy Charlton <nbcharlton at comcast.net>wrote:

> **
> "Loong" perhaps would be too jokey, as the association would be with "loon"
> or "loony" or even "loo" -- hardly the gravitas appropriate to the poem,
> even with its light touch.  Or perhaps the nasal "nng" is more analogous to
> the "mm" of "dimm" with or without the "ness."
>
> Nancy Charlton
>
> On 6/22/2011 1:18 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
>
>  Interesting that the poet wanted to lengthen "long" with a double "n"
> rather than a double "o" . . . and just because of Milton's "dimm"-ness? Or
> would "lonng" seem longer than "loong"? (Or rather, "lo-ong"?)
>
> Jeffery Hodges
>
>  ------------------------------

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340