[Milton-L] Tasso, Milton, and James Cameron

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:03:53 EDT 2011

Cameron probably just took the name directly from Greek mythology:

http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Pandora

The name "Pandora" and myths of a prelapsarian, Edenic environment
find very wide cultural distribution.  The name is used for an
internet radio program, an email program, a gaming console, a line of
jewelry, etc.  I think it would be very difficult to ascribe any
particular literary source to Cameron's invention just on the basis of
these two elements.

The intelligent inhabitants of Pandora remind me more of Native
Americans (or European romanticizations of Native Americans) than
anything else, an association reinforced by their name, the NaVi (navi
/ native). Avatar's plot line seems more parallel to the Pocohontas
story (esp. Disney's version) than Paradise Lost. Earth's interest in
Pandora is to mine its natural resources for profit (unobtainium /
gold -- in both cases the profit motive alone drives interest in the
resources).  One of the military personnel (Capt. John Smith / Jake
Sully) resists the destruction of the native peoples in part because
of his romantic interest in the chief's daughter (Pocohontas /
Neytiri).

Avatar is a very thinly disguised retelling of Pocohontas in my opinion.

Jim R