[Milton-L] Tasso, Milton, and James Cameron

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Wed Jun 22 10:50:45 EDT 2011

Harold's splendid suggestion prompts me to recall some other "gifts" in PL that might glance at "Pandora whom the gods / Endowed with all their gifts".  Two candidates come to mind:

1) Adam expressing thanks for Eve: "fairest this / Of all thy gifts, nor enviest" (8.494).  Many critics since Empson have detected an ominous note in "enviest", and this possibility might be reinforced if "all thy gifts" makes a covert allusion to Pandora.

2) Raphael to Adam: "for God on thee / Abundantly his gifts hath also pour'd" (8.220).  This has exactly the notion of bounty that Harold mentions, and it is not a specific reference to Eve (though it of course includes her), so it might be the kind of thing Dario is looking for.

There are no doubt other suggestive "gifts" in PL.  A concordance would give more.

Cheers

John