[Milton-L] Oppian's Halieutica

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 15:32:40 EDT 2011

In Milton's work "On Education," there is advice on learning technical knowledge
of practical arts, among other things, to make various hard poets easier to read
with understanding:

"Then also those Poets which are now counted most hard, will be both facil and
pleasant, Orpheus, Hesiod, Theocritus, Aratus, Nicander, Oppian, Dionysius, and
in Latin Lucretius, Manilius, and the rural part of Virgil."

I had recently posted a blog entry on Oppian's Halieutica because of a Greek
grammatical point relevant to Milton's line on how Eve "knew not eating death,"
and I was surprised to receive an email from the Korean Broadcasting System
(KBS), one of Korea's three big television stations. The people at KBS intend to
do a program on fishing. The work by Oppian came to their attention, and they
subsequently noticed my post in their search for information.

They want to obtain images -- photographic images -- of the earliest Greek
manuscript (or manuscripts, and, I suppose, portions of Greek manuscripts), but
I can't help them much on that.

Would any Milton scholars (or anybody) be familiar enough with Oppian to know of
museums or libraries that house ancient or medieval Greek copies of Halieutica?

Jeffery Hodges