[Milton-L] Satan and the Pharisees

Grewell, Cory L. CGrewell at thiel.edu
Tue Jun 14 17:27:48 EDT 2011

A part of the larger argument I'm working on making is that Satan, in rejecting the Son, also rejects grace (or, if you want, rejects the two consecutively or what have you).  There is an analogy to the way that (many) Pharisees reject Christ in the gospels, and of course the Pharisees that do reject Christ are aligned with the law and against grace (e.g. the Judaizers in Galatians).

All of this serves as a subpoint in the larger argument about grace and justice in PL, and I'm fairly sure I've seen the analogy between the Pharisees in the gospels and Satan in PL in published criticism, but I can't remember where, and I'd like to cite the appropriate source, if anyone remembers what it is.

Dr. Cory Lowell Grewell
Assistant Professor of English
Thiel College
75 College Ave