[Milton-L] Tasso e Milton; why the long sentence?

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:35:26 EDT 2011

Dear scholars

first of all, excuse me for that "e" instead of "and" (sometimes my
brains are a-mazed...). Anyway, the verb "è" (is) would have to be
written with grave accent, not acute.

Now, as to the issue:

>But why such [purposed?] difficulty;  why the long sentences, forcing restart? Does Tasso discuss this issue in his prose or allude to it in verse?

I don't think that Tasso expressly discussed it anywhere; it simply
was his own way of writing --- and thinking? It could partly depend on
his psyche, that was not a linear one, to the extent that he spent
some years in a madhouse, too.
But, Milton had not this kind of problems, so the main reason is
linked to their high cultural level, and to the Era they lived in, the
Baroque one; though Tasso was a forerunner rather than a member of it,
having died in 1595.
At that time, which was a very modern one in many respects, the clear
Renaissance worldview had collapsed, and the whole universe was
conceived as complexity, polarity (-ies), ambiguity. In his long
poems, Tasso often presents characters or creatures whose appearence
is metamorphic, be it a witch, an angel, an octopus, or a chameleon.

It is true, anyway, that Tasso is considered by nowadays readers
(students...) as being quite boring... as it often happens to Milton,
as far as I know.