[Milton-L] Tasso e Milton; why the long sentence?

Carl Bellinger bcarlb at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 19:47:03 EDT 2011

Dario  mentions that
>  Tasso e Milton, . . . [made] lengthy sentences which force – always
> forced? –
> their readers to “restart” in order to grasp the meaning of the text.

This is certainly true of M's PL as it is (happy to take Dario's word for
it) of Tasso.
But why such [purposed?] difficulty;  why the long sentences, forcing
restart? Does Tasso discuss this issue in his prose or allude to it in
verse? Are there earlier sources which Tasso or Milton may have read?

The feature seems the opposite of Renaissance sprezzatura. Here what's
offered is gnarly, difficult, and long, though in the end it may unravel
nicely into a plain & easy signification.

I'd be grateful for help searching out such a compositional strategy, in
particular as applied to period structure. Here and there one finds
statements of a generalized ideal, to whit, that certain purposed
difficulties will function to yield access to folks worthy of learning while
denying it to the rest  --M's plea: "fit audience find though few" might be
placed under that general heading-- but it's hard to find [well, in any
case, I have not found] a plain, direct, detailed, (may I hope even
"exampled?")  application to a specific techne, whether that of sentence
composition or of any other I'm aware of.

Carl

Where the heck can I find an "e" with an acute accent? I'd like to buy a
vowel.