[Milton-L] Debbie does Eden

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:11:59 EDT 2011

Thank you for the response, Richard (and yes you may).

The key term for me in this discussion has always been the apellation
"pornography," which at earlier times in our argument you happily
embraced as a descriptive term to apply to PL.  In fact, at one point
you seemed to be seeking to undermine the elitism inherent in
distinguishing between "a serious work of art" and lesser works,
criticizing those who made such distinctions as being artificially
"high-minded" (I believe that was the term you used in an earlier
post).

The term "pornography," as I defined it for you, strictly had to do
with the purpose that the erotic serves when it is present.  So I
would have said that the erotic is present in rare moments in PL, but
not the pornographic, because pornography is almost never serious in
its attempt at art and almost always, as I said earlier, "seeking only
or primarily to create sexual stimulation."   The erotic in PL,
however, as we've both seen in the very interesting discussion that
you prompted, is quite complex.  I'm not sure that I'm ever aroused by
Eve, and I'm not sure that Milton intended his readers to be aroused
by Eve.

I think Milton was aroused by the idea of Eve, but that's another discussion.

I distinguished between the pornographic and the artistically erotic
in that the erotic, when present in a work of art, communicates much
more than pornography.  At one point, earlier in the discussion, you
seemed to embrace this distinction and still seemed to claim that PL,
by this definition, was still pornography.

If I misunderstood or misrepresented you by taking hyperbole a bit too
literally, though, I apologize.  I will say your earlier claims, as I
understood them, were quite bold and provocative and merited the
argument and attention that ensued.

Jim R