[Milton-L] Re: Fallen vs. Unfallen Sex

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 26 23:59:06 EDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 3:25 PM, James Rovira wrote:

" I don't see how PL and Debbie Does Dallas can be said
to be attempting to achieve the same effect.  I don't see this claim
as supporting any kind of dogmatism, but rather trying to avoid
reductionism in literary treatments of the erotic."

This raises problems with what we mean by "erotic." If it (text,
painting, what have you) elicits no 'erotic' response from the
reader/viewer, can it be called erotic? And if it _does_ elicit an
erotic response, then there may still be a line between Debbie & Eve --
but it's getting a bit iffy.

Carrol