[Milton-L] Nude or Naked?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 15:21:37 EDT 2011

William Grimes has elaborated on his point and added a couple of illustrations:
Naked implies, on the part of he artist, an unblinking, even harsh, depiction of
the body. On the sitter's side (as in Manet's Olympia or Goya's Maja, a
brazenness, a lack of shame that seems to say, I see you looking at me and I
don't care, I'm looking right back at you.
For convenience, here are links to the paintings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_(Manet)

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_maja_desnuda
I find interesting the suggestion by Grimes that "naked" implies "a lack of
shame" since one consequence of the Fall for Adam and Eve was shame at their
"nakedness," though I suppose this gets us into issues of translation.

Jeffery Hodges