[Milton-L] process v end; agreement

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 26 13:37:42 EDT 2011

Certainly, agreement is possible -- we're not the federal government, after all -
- but I think that it is important to recognize reading, especially intepretive
reading, as a multiple-step process.  Of course one must attend to the
movement of sentences, and take seriously the order in which elements are
received (this is the Iser-Alpers-Fish contribution).  But one must also take
seriously the entire shape of a sentence when one has gotten to the end of it.
And with a writer like Milton, steeped as he is in Latin, the final word or clause
often is (as I needn't tell Professor Skulsky!)  the point of the construction.  And I
do think that the "drift and scope" way of reading does suggest getting to the
end before one starts analyzing.

But, even from the processive point of view, a "this nor that" construction invites
one to see the items as strongly parallel, and the "reign'd, nor" construction
gives one only a very weak stop after "reign'd," so the movement is basically
continuous.

I think, though, that the best way to resolve this crux is to see it as a crux.
Milton is simply trying to pack too much into too few words here, and perhaps is
not quite sure himself where his focus is.  I don't think that we harm the master
by seeing a bit of clumsiness here.