[Milton-L] from unlibidinous to non-jealous

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 26 02:19:22 EDT 2011

Well, we do seem to be getting somewhere in some respects.  We now seem to
have a reasonably firm consensus that, in this context, libidiousnous is bad and
"unlibidinous" good, and that "love unlibidinous" is not meant to eliminate
sexual love in general.

I'm afraid I do not think the Skulsky parsing solves the issue of to whom the
phrase is meant to apply -- the major point of current contention.

The general stucture and movement of the sentence (or whatever it is) seems to
treat "love unlibidinous" and "nor jealousie" as more or less parallel items in a
series, and the two phrases negating negatives seem to apply to the same
consciousness and to be presented as variants of the same ideal consciousness
with regard to erotics.  To see the reference suddenly shifting seems to me not
to be following the "drift and scope" of the lines.  My suggestion is -- and I will
reiterate it -- that we read the last part of the sentence from the ending, using
non-jealousy to interpret non-libidinous.  But if we do this, Adam has to be
included, since he is the only figure in the scene -- the only one of the sons of
God (I see no reason why he can't be included in this phrase) -- who might, had
his love not been "unlibidinous," have  felt jealousy.  So, as I suggested earlier,
he is secure in his relation to Eve, with the full Latin sense of se cura.  So
libidinousness, here, would have some element of graspingness and anxious
possessiveness.