[Milton-L] Nude or Naked?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 24 15:37:46 EDT 2011

Given our discussion of late, I found this interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/arts/lucian-freud-adept-portraiture-artist-dies-at-88.html

"Lucian Freud, Figurative Painter Who Redefined Portraiture, Is Dead at 88"

William Grimes, New York Times (July 11, 2011)

This observation is particularly apt:

"His female subjects in particular seemed not just nude but obtrusively naked."

Is this a meaningless distinction? Should Grimes have written:

"His female subjects in particular seemed not just nude but obtrusively nude."

Or:

"His female subjects in particular seemed not just naked but obtrusively naked."

Or do we need a terminological distinction here to express more starkly what is
meant?

Jeffery Hodges