[Milton-L] Fallen vs. Unfallen Sex

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Thu Jul 21 13:46:56 EDT 2011

On being watched:

One of the differences between unfallen and fallen sex in PL is that
unfallen sex takes place in the privacy of the bower (exclusively, so far as
we know) and at night, whereas the hungry fallen sex takes place at
lunchtime and out in the open. The bower would screen the sex act from the
eyes of beasts (who know to stay out of the bower), angels, and any future
unfallen children. Adam instinctively recognizes the  decorum of privacy
when, upon meeting Eve, he leads her to the bower instead of mounting her in
front of God and everybody. Also the angels have their own "blissful bowers
/ Of amaranthine shade" (11.77-78).

An interesting if very minor point of contrast is that sex in the bower is
blessed by a shower of rose petals, whereas roses (an important symbol in
Paradise) are missing from the flowery mound where the first fallen sex act
occurs.

I infer that in the PL world, sex has a proper place and time. And unfallen
sex is not watched by anyone except God, not even the narrator and reader,
who witness only a "not-turning-from" and a sleepy postcoital embrace.

Michael

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Brendan Prawdzik <brendanprawdzik at gmail.com