[Milton-L] The Doctrine and Discipline of Gay Divorce

Shoulson, Jeffrey jshoulson at mail.as.miami.edu
Thu Jul 21 13:22:32 EDT 2011

Thanks to Richard Strier for this response.

I do mostly agree with his assertion, though there does seem to me to be room to argue that Milton's account of marriage and divorce, as enlightened as it may have been for its time, still implies certain patriarchal assumptions.  At least that's what I understand Mary Nyquist's very important readings of the divorce tracts to assert.

But setting that important issued aside for the moment, I was, in a perhaps less than fully articulate fashion, trying to get at something a little different, which is that in all the spirited debates about same-sex marriage these days we have not, until these most recent reports, fully acknowledged that to address the question of same-sex marriage is also--and at the same time--to address the question of same-sex divorce.  And it is this realization that returns us to Milton's extensive meditations on marriage and divorce.

Jeffrey