[Milton-L] "erotic" versus

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 21 12:53:07 EDT 2011

Let me try to respond to some of James Rovira's thoughtful remarks.  I will
specify the ones to which I have a response.

"Do you really think it's impossible to have an aesthetic experience of an artwork
involving a nude without it being sexual?"

I guess I think that a response to any depiction, verbal or visual, of gorgeous
nude/naked persons might well have a sexual component (of course, I am not
legislating that there be one).  My point is not that arousal is all that a response
to such a depiction might contain; my point is that it does not count in any way
against the representation  -- or the reader/viewer thereof -- if sexual arousal
is part of the response.

Seems foolish to think that one could not, does not, respond to such material
on many levels, if the material is such that it invites such complexity of
response.  (If it does not, I am still against labeling it "pornography," which
seems to me primarily a legal category that serves to justify censorship -- and I
am against censorship of any representation).

I think that this previous sentence may answer the Mapplethorpe challenge,
though I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to be involved there.  Would I
censor Mapplethorpe's photos, as has so often been done, no.  Do I think that
his photos are often erotic, yes.  Do I think they encourage or lead to assaults on
children, no-- but that is a complex and empirical matter, and the studies that
purport to show a causal connection between "pornography" and sexual assault
seem to me to be quite dubious.

"If Eve's nudity was necessarily and at all times sexual then Milton's Adam would
be walking around all day with an erection" -- I am not sure whether this is
meant to be a serious point or not.  I guess it's supposed to be a reductio of my
view.  But of course one can be aware of the erotic power of one's partner,
constantly, without physically responding to it all the time -- sometimes, deo
volente, one is physically satisfied -- and, of course, one can think of one's
yummy partner in many different ways, and enjoy different aspects of him or
her.

"I don't think Milton was limited to a view of sex in which human beings were
guided by uncontrollable responses" -- hard to disagree with this.

Even if one grants the fact that so troubled St. Augustine -- that erections are
not matters of will (forget Shakespeare's punning sonnets, for a moment) --
that does not mean that one needs to act on such involuntary responses --
many other considerations can and should come into play -- but nor does it
mean, contra Augustine, that one needs to agonize about them.

I guess that's it for now.  Thanks, again, for the thoughtful remarks.